The Paraklesis: Supplication Prayer to the Mother of God

The Paraklesis: Supplication Prayer to the Mother of God
The Greek word Paraclesis Παράκλησις derives from παρακαλῶ.
It means to request, beg, or plead. It is to ask for help and solace.

Etymology:

From Koine Greek  παρακαλῶ (parakalô, “invite”) contracted form of Ancient Greek παρακαλέω (parakaléō).
παρα- (para-) +‎ καλώ (kaló, “call”).
The prefix παρα (up; beyond; beside; before)
The verb καλεώ: to call
To Thee O Virgin, Mother of God, we pour a flowing word, intercede for us.

Definition:

Paraklesis means comfort and supplication. This prayer is one of the most beautiful liturgical texts. It is a supplicatory prayer to the Most Holy Theotokos. This is not strange at all, for the Mother of God occupies a unique position in liturgical worship. Indeed, many praises and intercessions have been written for her. In the Orthodox Church, the month of August is consecrated to the Virgin Mary.
How nice it is to commemorate the words of Elizabeth inspired by the Holy Spirit to the Virgin Mary who was visiting her:
But why am I so favored, that the mother of my Lord should come to me? (Luke 1: 43)
It is even more beautiful to live and experience what Elizabeth said, and to be aware of this presence.

The Small and the Great Parclesis:

From August 1 to 14, the Orthodox Church chants the Small and Great Paraclesis alternately, in preparation for the feast of the Dormition of the Mother of God.
The small Paraklesis can also be chanted when one is sick or in distress.
It has also been the custom to be chanted in some monasteries and convents, after Vespers or during Small Compline, and on some feasts of saints. Many believers have it in their personal prayer rule.

History of the Paraklesis:

Researchers are confused about attributing the Small Paraklesis, is it to Monk Theosterictus the hermit or to saint Theophan. As for the Great Paraklesis, it is attributed to Emperor Theodore II Doukas Laskaris in the 13th century…

This article was originally published on the Greek Orthodox Patriarchate of Antioch and All the East’ s website. Please click here to read the full text.

Previous
Previous

August 7, 2014... an indelible date in the modern history of Iraq

Next
Next

Blessing of Holy Muron in Antelias